Entry updated 19 November 2023. Tagged: Author.
Working name of Nigerian academic and author Osasuyi Okungbowa (1989- ), in Canada for some time, who began to publish work of genre interest with "Breaking the Habit" in Omenana for September 2015 as by Sui Davies. His first novel, David Mogo, Godhunter (2019), foretells his work to come in its complex use of Equipoisal counterpointing of narrative elements that might seem jostling, but which arguably well befit the extraordinary patterns of urban life in Lagos, where it is set. The story itself, during which a locust-like assault from the heavens of innumerable gods is countered by the eponymous hero-in-utero, edges into something that feels like the Near Future. His second novel, Son of the Storm (2021), initiates The Nameless Republic sequence of fantasies set in a mythical African domain, at some point that seems deep into the past of an imagined Africa; the series' various protagonists must come to terms with the interlacings of power and place that provide lifelines for any inhabitants of the republic, a vision of modern life which seems to reflect the author's long experience with Lagos.
Okungbowa is of some sf interest for a Minecraft Universe Tie, The Haven Trials (2021) as by Suyi Davies, whose protagonist, wrested from her native Lagos, must cope in America with the Minecraft Videogame universe. Of considerable potential interest is his ambidextrous skill at the joining of worlds and story-types, his manifest familiarity not only with Fantastika in general as filtered through Afrofuturist models, but with the SF Megatext within. [JC]
born Benin City, Edo, Nigeria: 27 August 1989
- The Haven Trials (New York: Del Rey, 2021) as by Suyi Davies [Minecraft Universe: hb/]
The Nameless Republic
- Son of the Storm (New York: Orbit, 2021) [The Nameless Republic: pb/Dan Dos Santos]
- Warrior of the Wind (New York: Orbit, 2023) [The Nameless Republic: pb/Dan Dos Santos]
- Lucas on the Line (New York: Random House, 2022) as by Suyi Davies [Stranger Things: hb/]
- David Mogo, Godhunter (Oxford, Oxfordshire: Rebellion Publishing/Abaddon Books, 2019) [pb/Yoshi Yoshitani]
collections and stories
- Choke (New York: Tor.com, 2022) [story: ebook: na/Xia Gordon]
previous versions of this entry