(1968- ) Critic, editor and academic based at the University of the West of England, Bristol. Founding co-editor (with Sherryl Vint) of Science Fiction Film and Television Journal, former co-editor (from 2001-2005) of Historical Materialism: Research in Critical Marxist Theory; advisory editorial board member for Extrapolation, Paradoxa: Studies in World Literary Genres and Science Fiction Studies; and an editorial board member for the Liverpool Science Fiction Texts and Studies book series, published by the University of Liverpool Press. Bould guest-edited two issues of Science Fiction Studies, on the "British SF Boom" (November 2003) and – with Rone Shavers – "Afrofuturism" (July 2007) (see Afrofuturism); he later edited a special issue of Paradoxa (2014) on the same general topic, entitled "Africa SF". He also edited a special section of Femspec on Gwyneth Jones (2004 5.1).
Bould has published widely on aspects of genre and film, primarily sf and noir, including work on African-American sf, British telefantasy, Cyberpunk, M John Harrison, Gwyneth Jones and China Miéville, collaborating with the latter on the "Marxism and Fantasy" special issue of Historical Materialism (2002 10.4) and an edited assembly of essays, Red Planets: Marxism and Science Fiction (anth 2009). He has also maintained strong collaborative links with Sherryl Vint, having co-written The Routledge Concise History of Science Fiction (2011) and several articles with her, along with Fifty Key Figures in Science Fiction (anth 2009) and The Routledge Companion to Science Fiction (anth 2009), also in collaboration with Andrew M Butler and Adam Roberts.
He received the Pilgrim Award in 2016 and the IAFA Award for distinguished scholarship in 2019. [CPa]
born Cheslyn Hay, Staffordshire: 10 October 1968
works as editor
- Strange Attractors: Kicking the Reality Fix: Papers from the Second Annual AFFN Conference (Plymouth, Devon: for the Author, circa 1995) [nonfiction: anth: chap: assembling papers delivered 3 December 1994: pb/nonpictorial]
- Parietal Games: Critical Writings By and On M. John Harrison (London: The Science Fiction Foundation, 2005) with Michelle Reid [nonfiction: coll/anth: in the publisher's Foundation Studies in Science Fiction series: pb/Colin Odell]
- Red Planets: Marxism and Science Fiction (London: Pluto Press, 2009) with China Miéville [nonfiction: anth: Marxism and Culture: hb/]
- Fifty Key Figures in Science Fiction (London: Routledge, 2009) with Andrew M Butler, Adam Roberts and Sherryl Vint [nonfiction: anth: hb/nonpictorial]
- The Routledge Companion to Science Fiction (London: Routledge, 2009) with Andrew M Butler, Adam Roberts and Sherryl Vint [nonfiction: anth: hb/Frantisek Kupka]
- SF Now (Vashon Island, Washington: Paradoxa, 2015) with Rhys Williams [special issue #25 of Paradoxa journal: pb/??]
Previous versions of this entry