Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1955- ) US author and academic, a professor at the University of Connecticut since 1989, also resident in the UK. His first sf story, the orthodox "What Makes a Cage? Jamie Knows" (in Protostars, anth 1971, ed David Gerrold), significantly fails to prefigure his mature works, the best of which appear in The Secret Life of Houses (coll 1988; exp vt Dream of the Wolf 1990; further exp vt Greetings From Earth: New and Collected Stories 1993), where they apply the torque of Fabulation to Southern Californian venues whose haunted, dehydrated inmates are trapped just short of the healing waters of the Pacific Rim. His first novel, The History of Luminous Motion (1989), trawls in the same suburban deserts, though without the use of sf protocols, as does What's Wrong with America (1994), comically. In his later work he has concentrated on Beast Fable tales [see The Encyclopedia of Fantasy under links below], including the remarkable Animal Planet (1995) (see Zoo) and the stories assembled in Hot Animal Love: Tales of Modern Romance (coll 2005); some of these tales are Equipoisal with sf readings, but without ever becoming "arguable" narratives of mutated American life and mores. He wrote the entries on Magic Realism and Oulipo in the second edition of this encyclopedia. [JC]
see also: Interzone.
Scott Michael Bradfield
born San Francisco, California: 27 April 1955
- The Secret Life of Houses (London: Unwin Hyman, 1988) [hb/Ian Miller]
- The History of Luminous Motion (London: Bloomsbury, 1989) [hb/Ian Miller]
- What's Wrong with America (London: Picador, 1994) [hb/]
- Animal Planet (New York: Picador, 1995) [hb/Marc J Cohen]
- The Anti-Santa (Harold Wood, Essex: Beccon Publications, 2002) [story: chap: pb/Jack Bradfield]
- The Puddinginator: An Experiment in Automatic Collaboration for the Holidays (London: House Books, 2003) with Jack Bradfield [story: chap: pb/Jack Bradfield]
- Good Girl Wants It Bad (New York: Carroll and Graf, 2004) [pb/Ann Weinstock]
- A Max Normal Christmas Or (Harold Wood, Essex: Beccon Publications, 2004) [story: chap: pb/Jack Bradfield]
- Hot Animal Love: Tales of Modern Romance (New York: Carroll and Graf, 2005) [coll: pb/]
previous versions of this entry