Entry updated 26 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Editor.
(1946- ) UK author active in Fandom since the 1970s London Ratfandom scene, whose Fanzines include Phile (7 issues 1966-?1968), Wrinkled Shrew (8 issues 1974-1979) with his wife Pat Charnock, and Vibrator (59 issues 1975-1977, 2003-2005, 2013-2020). He began to publish work of genre interest with "Crim" in New Worlds #184 for November 1968, followed by further stories in that magazine and in various Original Anthologies. As part of the late-1960s New Worlds team, Charnock co-edited the November 1969 and December 1969 issues with Charles Platt and Graham Hall respectively. His short story, "The Burning Zone", was sold in the early 1970s to Harlan Ellison's «Last Dangerous Visions» project, and remains unpublished. He was a member of Michael Moorcock's band Michael Moorcock & The Deep Fix, contributing three songs to their first album New Worlds Fair (1975).
Book-length work, all self-published, includes the Chronicles of Cartiledge & I trilogy beginning with Spawn! (2006) – which relates the Steampunk-flavoured exploits of a pair of pseudo-Victorian gentlemen travellers through space and time – and the standalone novel Lake: A Romance of Lake Champlain (2009), an alternative reality tale. Previously unpublished stories are assembled as Lost Children: Fourteen Short Stories & Three Novellas (coll 2011). [DRL]
see also: Eastercon.
born UK: 18 November 1946
Chronicles of Cartiledge & I
- Spawn! (London: for the author, 2006) [Chronicles of Cartiledge & I: pb/photographic]
- Space! (London: for the author, 2007) [Chronicles of Cartiledge & I: pb/photographic]
- Slush! (London: Wrinkled Shrew Press, 2012) [Chronicles of Cartiledge & I: pb/photographic]
- The Compleat Cartiledge (London: for the author, 2018) [omni of the above three: Chronicles of Cartiledge & I: pb/]
- Lake: A Romance of Lake Champlain (London: for the author, 2009) [coll: pb/photographic]
- News from Cabbage County (London: for the author, 2010) [pb/]
- Lost Children: Fourteen Short Stories & Three Novellas (London: Shrew Books, 2009) [coll: pb/photographic]
- Last Words: A Collection (London: for the author, 2019) [poetry: coll: chap: pb/]
works as editor
- Seacon '79 Souvenir Book (Brighton, Sussex: Seacon '79, 1979) [nonfiction: anth: Worldcon: pb/Pauline Jones]
- Running Amok in the Fun Factory: A Collection of UK Con Reports (Reading, Berkshire: Ansible Editions, 2017) [anth: ebook: Conventions: na/photographic]
- Graham Charnock
- TransAtlantic Fan Fund Ebook Library
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Picture Gallery
previous versions of this entry