Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(? - ) UK author, initially best known under the collaborative pseudonym Grant Naylor for his work on the Red Dwarf (1988-current) Television series (which see for discussion). Only one related novel, Backwards (1996), has not been published under this name; the series Ties Scenes from the Dwarf (coll 1996 chap) and Son of Soup: A Second Serving of the Least Worst Scripts (coll 1996) appeared as by Grant and Doug Naylor.
As Grant, his sf includes Colony (2000), a comic novel set aboard a Generation Starship whose occupants rather resemble the cast of the television series; Incompetence (2003), a Satire, which could be considered Euro-sceptic if it were focused on genuine issues, in which a Near Future private eye encounters bureaucratic delays in his attempts to track down a competent serial killer; and Fat (2006), an assault on media treatment of obesity which is also humorous. The Quanderhorn Xperimentations (2018) with Andrew Marshall (1954- ) – written in conjunction with a six-episode Radio version, The Quanderhorn Xperimentations (25 June-30 July 2018 BBC) – is a Parody-with-love of Nigel Kneale's Quatermass scripts and novelizations (see various entries under Quatermass); the tale is set in a 1952 Time Loop, now in its sixty-fifth repetition. [JC/DRL]
born Salford, Manchester
- Backwards (London: Viking, 1996) [tie to Red Dwarf: Red Dwarf: hb/Bill Gregory]
- Scenes from the Dwarf (London: Penguin 60s, 1996) with Doug Naylor [script extracts: coll: chap: tie to Red Dwarf: Red Dwarf: pb/]
- Son of Soup: A Second Serving of the Least Worst Scripts (London: Penguin Books, 1996) with Doug Naylor [scripts: coll: tie to Red Dwarf: Red Dwarf: pb/photographic]
- Colony (London: Viking, 2000) [hb/Chris Moore]
- Incompetence (London: Gollancz, 2003) [hb/]
- Fat (London: Gollancz, 2006) [hb/]
- The Quanderhorn Xperimentations (London: Gollancz, 2018) with Andrew Marshall [hb/Rob Grant]
previous versions of this entry