Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author.
(? - ) UK author who began to publish work of genre interest with "The Original Word for Rain" in Zahir for Spring 2006, a fantasy. Of some sf interest is Wolfhound Century (2013), a Near Future Urban Fantasy [see The Encyclopedia of Fantasy under links below] which begins the projected Vissarion Lom sequence. Lom, a noirish police inspector, travels to his country's capital – which is much like Moscow – in order to track down insurgents. He soon falls through the cracks of the mundane into a savage myth-drenched world dictated by Magic, and increasingly taking on Dystopian characteristics, with Urban Fantasy tropes revealing themselves as Satirical of the new Russian order. A giant Spaceship, bolted together and perhaps toxically nonfunctional, begins to dominate the landscape prior to its launch disaster-wards. [JC]
- Wolfhound Century (London: Gollancz, 2013) [Vissarion Lom: hb/]
- Truth and Fear (London: Gollancz, 2014) [Vissarion Lom: hb/]
- Radiant State (London: Gollancz, 2015) [Vissarion Lom: hb/]
- Wolfhound Empire (New York: Orbit, 2016) [omni of the above three: Vissarion Lom: pb/]
- Dragon Heart (London: Gollancz, 2019) [pb/Peter Nunn]
previous versions of this entry