Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Comics, Critic.
(1962- ) UK bibliographer and critic who has also scripted some Comics, including a 1989 story for The Cursed Land and a 1990 story for Computer Killer. His main work has been in the almost infinitely perplexing field of post-World War Two UK paperback publishers and authors, and he has done much to clarify the two decades after 1945, a period rife with pseudonymous titles, ephemeral publications, fly-by-night publishers and reticent authors. His bibliographical studies, most of them short but illuminating, include Scion and Dragon Books (1984 chap), Modern Fiction (1984 chap), Curtis Warren and Grant Hughes (1985 chap), John Spencer and Badger Books (1985 chap), Gaywood Press, Compact Books and Hank Janson Publishers (1986 chap), Piccadilly Novels (1986 chap), Digit Books (1986 chap), Brown Watson (1986 chap), R. & L.W. Locker/Harborough/Archer (1987 chap), Viking/WDL/Consul (1987 chap), Hamilton & Panther (1987 chap), The Sexton Blake Library (1988 chap), Paul Renin: A Bibliographical Checklist (1990 chap), The Gramol Group (1990 chap) and The Mike Western Story (1990 chap). The Trials of Hank Janson (1991) and The Fleetway Companion (anth 1992 2vols) were more commodious presentations of this material. His work as a whole has been summarized in two linked volumes, Vultures of the Void: A History of British Science Fiction, 1946-1956 (dated 1992 but 1993) and British Science Fiction Paperbacks and Magazines, 1949-1956 (1994; rev 1995), both with Philip Harbottle; and in the more general The Mushroom Jungle: A History of Postwar Paperback Publishing (1993). He has contributed several entries and much research to this encyclopedia. Holland's current researches are frequently posted to his Bear Alley blog [see links below]. [JC]
see also: Sexton Blake Library.
born Broomfield, Essex: 13 April 1962
works (highly selected)
- John Spencer and Badger Books: 1948-1967 (Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire: Richard Williams, 1985) [bibliography: chap: Badger Books: pb/]
- Vultures of the Void: A History of British Science Fiction, 1946-1956 (San Bernardino, California: The Borgo Press, 1993) with Philip Harbottle [nonfiction: book is dated 1992: hb/Ron Turner]
- The Mushroom Jungle: A History of Postwar Paperback Publishing (Westbury, Wiltshire: Zeon Books, 1993) [nonfiction: illus/various: pb/F T]
- British Science Fiction Paperbacks, 1949-1956: An Annotated Bibliography and Guide (San Bernardino, California: Borgo Press, 1994) with Philip Harbottle [nonfiction: pb/Highpoint Type and Graphics]
- British Science Fiction Paperbacks, 1949-1956: An Annotated Bibliography and Guide (San Bernardino, California: Borgo Press, 1995) with Philip Harbottle [nonfiction: rev of the above: pb/Highpoint Type and Graphics]
- An Index to Mellifont Press (Leeds, West Yorkshire: Galactic Central Publications, 1995) [bibliography: chap: see F&SF: in the publisher's Publisher Checklists series: pb/nonpictorial]
- Badger Tracks: Exploring the Publications of John Spencer & Co (Colchester, Essex: Underworld Studios, 1997) [nonfiction: Badger Books: pb/Henry Fox]
- Sci-Fi Art: A Graphic History (New York: Collins Design, 2009) [nonfiction: graph: illus/various: hb/Oliver Frey and others]
- Sci-Fi Art: A Pocket History (Metuchen, New Jersey: Ilex Publications, 2011) [pb/Vincent Di Fate]
previous versions of this entry