Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Author, Critic, Editor.
(? - ) Canadian editor and academic, at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario until her retirement in 2016; she has been an editor of Science Fiction Studies from 1991, publishing with her co-editors two Anthologies of significance, On Philip K Dick: 40 Articles from Science Fiction Studies (anth 1992) with Istvan Csicsery-Ronay, Arthur B Evans and R D Mullen, a moderately early harvest from the huge range of scholarship even then addressed to Philip K Dick; and Science Fiction: The Wesleyan Anthology (anth 2010) with Istvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr, Arthur B Evans, Joan Gordon, Rob Latham and Carol McGuirk, an ambitious assembly of sf stories, arranged in chronological order from Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Rappaccini's Daughter" (December 1844 The United States Magazine and Democratic Review) to Ted Chiang's "Exhalation" (in Eclipse Two, anth 2008, edited by Jonathan Strahan).
Hollinger's other anthologies, three involving Joan Gordon (whom see) and one with Brian Attebery, professionally assemble nonfiction material on their various subjects. She won the Thomas D Clareson Award for 2018, and in 2021 received the SFRA Award for Lifetime Contributions to SF Scholarship (see Pilgrim Award). [JC]
works as editor
- On Philip K Dick: 40 Articles from Science Fiction Studies (Terre Haute, Indiana: SF-TH Inc, 1992) with Arthur B Evans, R D Mullen and Istvan Csicsery-Ronay [nonfiction: anth: assembling essays published in Science Fiction Studies between 1975 and 1992: Philip K Dick: hb/]
- Blood Read: The Vampire as Metaphor in Contemporary Culture (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1997) with Joan Gordon [nonfiction: anth: hb/John M Digby]
- Edging into the Future: Science Fiction and Contemporary Cultural Transformation (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002) with Joan Gordon [nonfiction: anth: hb/John Hubbard]
- Queer Universes: Sexualities in Science Fiction (Liverpool, England: Liverpool University Press, 2008) with Joan Gordon and Wendy Gay Pearson and [nonfiction: anth: in the publisher's Liverpool Science Fiction Texts and Studies series: hb/Wendy Gay Pearson]
- Science Fiction: The Wesleyan Anthology (Middletown, Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press, 2010) with Istvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr, Arthur B Evans, Joan Gordon, Rob Latham and Carol McGuirk [anth: hb/]
- Parabolas of Science Fiction (Middletown, Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press, 2013) with Brian Attebery [nonfiction: anth: hb/Agnès Dodart]
previous versions of this entry