Entry updated 31 October 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1889-1969) UK author almost all of whose work was fantasy, with a concentration on ghost stories and tales of the occult [for Ghost Stories, Margery Lawrence, Occult Detectives and Occult Fantasy see The Encyclopedia of Fantasy under links below]. The Club of the Round Table sequence comprises various tales told within a Club Story frame; in the Miles Pennoyer sequence, Pennoyer solves various cases, usually involving the occult. Of sf interest is The Tomorrow of Yesterday (1969), which is narrated by one of several Martians (see Mars) to observe primitive man (see Prehistoric SF) and Uplift the species to a more spiritual state; this is accomplished through a psychic process akin to voyeurism which allows them to participate in creature Sex and thus to improve the stock, which may now be called Homo sapiens. The Martians then found Atlantis, but begin to lose their Immortality and other gifts through too close association with their fleshly quasi-offspring. Atlantis sinks. Some relics of Martian wisdom have been buried here and there, but have not yet been discovered. [JC]
Margery Harriet Lawrence
born Wolverhampton, Staffordshire: 8 August 1889
died London: 13 November 1969
Club of the Round Table
- Number Seven, Queer Street: Being Some Stories Taken from the Private Casebook of Dr. Miles Pennoyer Recorded by His Friend and Occasional Assistant Jerome Latimer (London: Robert Hale, 1945) [coll: Miles Pennoyer: hb/C W Bacon]
- Number Seven, Queer Street (Sauk City, Wisconsin: Mycroft and Moran, 1959) [coll: cut vt of the above: hb/Frank Utpatel]
- The Casebook of Miles Pennoyer Volume One (Ashcroft, British Columbia: Ash-Tree Press, 2002) [coll: cut vt of the above: cut differs from 1959 edition: Miles Pennoyer: hb/Paul Lowe]
- Master of Shadows (London: Robert Hale, 1959) [coll: Miles Pennoyer: hb/Val Biro]
- The Tomorrow of Yesterday (London: Robert Hale, 1966) [hb/Val Biro]
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The Encyclopedia of Fantasy: Ghost Stories; Margery Lawrence; Occult Detectives; Occult Fantasy.
- Picture Gallery
previous versions of this entry