Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1982- ) US author, active initially from around 2005 as a writer of short stories, several of which have been assembled as Urgent Beasts (coll 2015), some of them evoking Horror in SF worlds. He is of specific sf interest for his first novel, The Body Scout (2021), set in a corporatized Near Future Cyberpunk-inflected America; the protagonist, a washed up Cyborg Baseball player, discovers that his attempts to survive in the cynically manipulated killing fields of the sport he loves bring him into criminal territory. The Body Scout very smoothly becomes a murder mystery.
Michel has edited three Original Anthologies with Nadxieli Nieto, beginning with Gigantic Worlds (anth 2015). [JC]
born Virginia: 1982
- The Body Scout (New York: Orbit Books, 2021) [hb/]
collections and stories
- Urgent Beasts (Minneapolis, Minnesota: Coffee House Press, 2015) [coll: pb/]
works as editor
- Gigantic Worlds (New York: Gigantic Books, 2015) with Nadxieli Nieto [anth: hb/Michael DeForge]
- Tiny Crimes: Very Short Stories of Mystery and Murder with Nadxieli Nieto (New York: Catapult/Black Balloon Publishing, 2018) [anth: pb/]
- Tiny Nightmares: Very Short Stories of Horror with Nadxieli Nieto (New York: Catapult/Black Balloon Publishing, 2020) [anth: pb/]
previous versions of this entry