Entry updated 24 January 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1972- ) UK author active from around 2000, the work she has been most closely identified with being horror (but see Horror in SF). Her involvement in the Doctor Who franchise led to the Torchwood (2006-2011) Ties Torchwood: Into the Silence (2009) and Torchwood: Long Time Dead (2011). The Dog-Faced Gods sequence beginning with A Matter of Blood (2010; vt A Matter of Blood: The Forgotten Gods 2013) Equipoisally sets supernatural crimes within the frame of a Near Future Dystopian world caught in finance-driven depression, very similar in its description to the world after the finance-driven collapse of 2008.
A Necessary End (2013) with F Paul Wilson describes the consequences of a Near Future planetary infestation of flies originating in Africa, which causes a fatal auto-immune reaction in almost all of humanity, though in the absence of actual symptoms of disease: a Pandemic in all but that. The End of the World seems nigh, with the few survivors claiming that to be bit by "the flies of the Lord" is to achieve Transcendence. There may be nothing else on offer. [JC]
see also: Eastercon.
Sarah J Pinborough
born Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire: 1972
works (highly selected)
- A Matter of Blood (London: Gollancz, 2010) [Dog-Faced Gods: hb/Getty Images]
- A Matter of Blood: The Forgotten Gods: Books One (New York: Ace Books, 2013) [vt of the above: Dog-Faced Gods: pb/Neil Holden]
- The Shadow of the Soul (London: Gollancz, 2011) [Dog-Faced Gods: hb/]
- The Chosen Seed (London: Gollancz, 2012) [Dog-Faced Gods: hb/]
- Torchwood: Into the Silence (London: BBC Books, 2009) [tie to Torchwood: Torchwood: hb/]
- Torchwood: Long Time Dead (London: BBC Books, 2011) [tie to Torchwood: Torchwood: pb/]
previous versions of this entry