Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1970- ) Japanese author and former computer engineer, whose school-for-sorcerers novella was published as Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō ["Modern Magic Made Simple"] (fixup 2003) after winning the Shūeisha Super Dash New Novelist competition under the title "Mahō Tsukai no Net" ["Wizard's Web"].
His "Saitama Chainsaw Shōjo" ["Saitama Chainsaw Girl"] (September 2004 S-F Magazine) won the publication's annual Reader's Award. Subsequent short fiction often examines modern malaises associated with Computers, such as "Jūgatsu wa SPAM de Michite iru" ["An October Full of Spam"] (in Nanatsu no Kuroi Yūme, anth 2006). Computers and gaming (see Games) inform much of Sakurazaka's fiction, including his early success, All You Need Is Kill (2004), with a soldier protagonist trapped in a Time Loop that inevitably ends with his own death, no matter how he refines his actions or his abilities. This novel was adapted into the Military SF film Edge of Tomorrow (2014). Slum Online (2005) contrasts the dreary world of its luckless student protagonist with the epic heroic quest of his Avatar in a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō was adapted into a Manga by artist Miki Miyashita (September 2008 Jump Square) and a twelve-episode Anime series (2009; BS-11, 2009 US) directed by Yasuhiro Kuroda, starring Ai Nonaka. Written by Yasuhiro Kuroda and Yūichi Kadota. [JonC]
born Tokyo: 1970
Note: some of Sakurazaka's work appears in the Japanese Light Novel format (which see).
- Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō ["Modern Magic Made Simple"] (Tokyo: Super Dash Bunko, 2003, 2004, 2004, 2005, 2005, 2009) [published in six volumes: pb/Miki Miyashita]
- All You Need Is Kill (Tokyo: Super Dash Bunko, 2004) [pb/Yoshitoshi Abe]
- Slum Online (Tokyo: Hayakawa Bunko, 2005) [pb/toi8]
- Slum Online (San Francisco, California: Viz Media/Haikasoru, 2010) [trans of the above by Joseph Reeder: pb/]
- Characters (Tokyo: Shinchōsha, 2005) with Hiroki Azuma [pb/Miki Miyashita]
previous versions of this entry