Entry updated 25 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1948- ) US author who began writing sf with The Doomsday Effect (1986), as by Thomas Wren, which won the Compton Crook/Stephen Tall Memorial Award for best first novel. The novel describes – in terms that anticipated Greg Bear's The Forge of God (1987) and David Brin's Earth (1990) – the effect upon Earth of a rampaging Black Hole. The narrative efficiency of the tale, and the briskly knowledgeable handling of scientific material, marked Thomas as a Hard-SF writer of considerable potential. First Citizen (1987) is a Near-Future tale mixing, in a typical hard-sf manner, Politics and Economics. An Honorable Defense (1988) with David A Drake, is a Tie to the latter's Crisis of Empire sequence (each volume being essentially written by a different collaborator under Drake's supervision), is military sf, featuring a disgraced soldier who may be expected to save the Empire, which will then find that it has been in need of him. The Mask of Loki (1990) with Roger Zelazny is a fantasy set in the thirteenth and twenty-first centuries. ME: A Novel of Self-Discovery (1991) is sf, told from the point of view of the eponymous Multiple Entity AI. Crygender (1992), with an anonymous collaborator, depicts the hermaphrodite owner of a bordello on Alcatraz Island, by now owned by a Japanese consortium. Flare (1992), again with Zelazny, describes with absorbed detail the effects of the short and violent life of a deadly solar flare. Crygender (1992) examines Gender issues. Later novels include Trojan Horse (2010 ebook), a Technothriller; Sunflowers (2010 ebook), a Near Future tale in which the American president tries to exploit solar power from space against the opposition of the oil cartels; and The Children of Possibility (2012 ebook), a complex Time Travel tale in which a visitor from then millennia hence threatens to cause temporal chaos with her meddling interference in a game of Baseball. [JC]
see also: Medicine.
Thomas Thurston Thomas
- The Doomsday Effect (New York: Baen Books, 1986) as by Thomas Wren [pb/David Egge]
- First Citizen (New York: Baen Books, 1987) [pb/David Mattingly]
- An Honorable Defense (New York: Baen Books, 1988) with David A Drake [tie to Drake's Shared World Crisis of Empire sequence: pb/Paul Alexander]
- The Mask of Loki (New York: Baen Books, 1990) with Roger Zelazny [pb/Gary Ruddell]
- ME: A Novel of Self-Discovery (New York: Baen Books, 1991) [pb/Gary Ruddell]
- Crygender (New York: Baen Books, 1992) [an anonymous collaborator is credited: pb/Stephen Hickman]
- Flare (New York: Baen Books, 1992) with Roger Zelazny [pb/Dean Morrissey]
- Mars Plus (New York: Baen Books, 1994) with Frederik Pohl [hb/Stephen Hickman]
- Trojan Horse (no place given: Thomas T Thomas, 2010) [ebook: na/]
- Sunflowers (no place given: Thomas T Thomas, 2010) [ebook: na/]
- The Children of Possibility (no place given: Thomas T Thomas, 2012) [ebook: na/]
previous versions of this entry