Entry updated 25 October 2021. Tagged: Author, Critic, Editor.
(1969- ) US academic and critic, currently Professor of Science Fiction Media Studies in the English department of the University of California, Riverside, who began to publish nonfiction of genre interest with "Both/And: Science Fiction and the Question of Changing Gender" (18 February 2002 Strange Horizons). Her first book-length critical study of the genre was Bodies of Tomorrow: Technology, Subjectivity, Science Fiction (2007); further solo titles are Animal Alterity: Science Fiction and the Question of the Animal (2010) and Science Fiction: A Guide for the Perplexed (2014). For collaborative and edited or co-edited works, including Fifty Key Figures in Science Fiction (anth 2009) with Mark Bould, Andrew M Butler and Adam Roberts, see Checklist below. Vint was on the editorial board of Extrapolation 2009-2010 and is a current editor of Science Fiction Studies and Science Fiction Film & Television, which she founded with her frequent collaborator Mark Bould. She received the SFRA Award for Lifetime Contributions to SF Scholarship (see Pilgrim Award) in 2020. [DRL]
see also: Thomas D Clareson Award.
- Bodies of Tomorrow: Technology, Subjectivity, Science Fiction (Toronto, Ontario: University of Toronto Press, 2007) [nonfiction: hb/]
- Animal Alterity: Science Fiction and the Question of the Animal (Liverpool, England: Liverpool University Press, 2010) [nonfiction: hb/Tim Flach]
- The Routledge Concise History of Science Fiction (London: Routledge, 2011) with Mark Bould [nonfiction: Routledge Concise Histories of Literature: pb/Asha Pearse]
- Science Fiction: A Guide for the Perplexed (London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2014) [nonfiction: in the publisher's Guide for the Perplexed series: hb/]
works as editor
- Fifty Key Figures in Science Fiction (London: Routledge, 2009) with Andrew M Butler, Mark Bould and Adam Roberts [nonfiction: anth: hb/Frantisek Kupka]
- The Routledge Companion to Science Fiction (London: Routledge, 2009) with Andrew M Butler, Mark Bould and Adam Roberts [nonfiction: anth: hb/nonpictorial]
- Beyond Cyberpunk: New Critical Perspectives (New York and Abingdon, Oxfordshire: Routledge, 2010) with Graham Murphy [nonfiction: anth: hb/nonpictorial]
- Science Fiction and Cultural Theory: A Reader (London: Routledge, 2015) [nonfiction: anth: pb/]
previous versions of this entry