Entry updated 14 July 2023. Tagged: Author.
(1974- ) Spanish author, considered one of the most important writers of new speculative fiction in Spain. He published eight Horror and sf novels, two collections and about thirty short stories, mainly horror tales; his work has been the subject of academic criticism.
His first novel was Noche cerrada ["Dead of Night"] (2007), a horror story set in the present day but related to an event that occurred in the Spanish Civil War. Diástole ["Diastole"] (2011), Celsius Award in 2012, was a modern and vibrant revisiting of the Vampire myth. Cenital ["Peak"] (2012), Celsius Award in 2013, posed a world without fossil fuels and is, according to specialized critics, one of the best works of the genre in recent years. The plot focuses on the day-to-day life of an ecovillage (see Ecology) built by an anti-establishment collective gathered around a prophetic leader who anticipated the world collapse due to oil depletion. A work of anticipation that also works as a horror story, a catastrophic (see Disaster) and a Dystopian story.
Esta noche arderá el cielo ["Tonight the Sky Will Burn"] (2013) is an exciting thriller set in the desolate Canadian trans-taiga road, where a lone motorist must face off against a gang of smugglers, ancestral secrets of the First Nations and his own past; a horror Western with a rock'n'roll rhythm. Extraños eones ["Strange Aeons"] (2014) is a tribute to Lovecraft set in The City of the Dead in Cairo, a gigantic cemetery where two hundred and fifty thousand impoverished people are crowded in subhuman conditions, including hundreds of street kids. The best of his short fiction is included in Ahora intenta dormir ["Try to Sleep Now"] (coll 2015).
In 2017 he began an ambitious "sword and planet" (see Planetary Romance) trilogy entitled Los ojos Bizcos del Sol ["The Crossed Eyes of the Sun"] comprising the novels Transcrepuscular ["Transtwilight"] (2017), Antisolar ["Antisolar"] (2018) and Subsolar ["Subsolar"] (2020), a fast-paced exploration adventure in a fantastic world, full of impossible images and surreal descriptions through a catastrophic geography inhabited by hyperbolic fauna and flora. An exercise in delirious imagination, an orgy of ideas, images and a sense of wonder.
In summary, Bueso is a controversial and irreverent author, who has moved from his beginnings in horror to a mix of science fiction, horror and weird plots. Influenced by the narratives of Chuck Palahniuk, China Miéville and John Ajvide Lindquist, he usually deals with risky topics, always with the intention of bringing out the most sinister side of the human soul and blowing up our consciences. His style is very personal, characterized by the crudeness of the language, a vibrant narrative pulse and an unusual strength in his approaches. An author called to revolutionize the genre. [MV]
born Castellón, Spain, 1974
Los ojos bizcos del Sol ["The Crossed Eyes of the Sun"]
- Transcrepuscular ["Transtwilight"] (Barcelona, Spain: Gigamesh, 2017) [Los ojos bizcos del Sol: pb/Alejandro Terán]
- Antisolar ["Antisolar"] (Barcelona, Spain: Gigamesh, 2018) [Los ojos bizcos del Sol: pb/Alejandro Terán]
- Subsolar ["Subsolar"] (Barcelona, Spain: Gigamesh, 2020) [Los ojos bizcos del Sol: pb/Alejandro Terán]
- Los ojos bizcos del Sol ["The Crossed Eyes of the Sun"] (Barcelona, Spain: Gigamesh, 2021) [omni of the above three: Los ojos bizcos del Sol: pb/Tomás Hijo]
- Noche cerrada ["Dead of Night"] (Bilbao, Spain: Verbigracia, 2007) [pb/]
- Diástole ["Diastole"] (Madrid, Spain: Salto de Página, 2011) [pb/Carla López Bauer, Sergio del Puerto and Serial Cut]
- Cenital ["Peak"] (Madrid, Spain: Salto de Página, 2012) [pb/Alejandro Terán] [pb/]
- Cenital ["Peak"] (Madrid, Spain: Valdemar, 2022) [exp of the above: hb/]
- Esta noche arderá el cielo ["Tonight the Sky Will Burn"] (Madrid, Spain: Salto de Página, 2013) [pb/Pier Brito]
- Extraños eones ["Strange Aeons"] (Madrid, Spain: Valdemar, 2014) [pb/Santiago Caruso]
- Esquivando el sueño ["Dodging Sleep"] (Spain: Self-publishing, 2011) [coll: pb/]
- Ahora intenta dormir ["Try to Sleep Now"] (Madrid, Spain: Valdemar, 2015) [coll: pb/Zdzislaw Beksinski]
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Emilio Bueso at La Tercera Fundación ["The Third Foundation"] (in Spanish)
previous versions of this entry