Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Editor.
(1947-2017) US editor and author, married to Gardner Dozois until her death. She began publishing sf with "Spring-Fingered Jack" for Fears (anth 1983) edited by Charles Grant. Her fiction in collaboration with Dozois is assembled in Slow Dancing through Time (coll 1990), which includes one collaboration with both Dozois and Jack M Dann. These stories are also included in Up the Rainbow: The Complete Short Fiction of Susan Casper (coll 2017) edited by her husband, most of them Dark Fantasy [see The Encyclopedia of Fantasy under links below] or Horror, and most of them written over the decade after 1983. Dozois also edited a previously unpublished circus fantasy, The Red Carnival (2018), and was her co-editor for Ripper! (anth 1988; vt Jack the Ripper 1988) (see Jack the Ripper). [JC]
see also: Crime and Punishment.
born Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: 8 May 1947
died Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: 24 February 2017
- The Red Carnival (New York: Fantastic Books, 2018) [pb/Ron Miller]
collections and stories
- Gardner Dozois. Slow Dancing through Time (Kansas City, Missouri: Ursus Imprints/Shingletown, California: Mark V Ziesing, 1990) with Casper, Jack Dann, Jack C Haldeman II and Michael Swanwick [coll: collaborations with various authors: hb/Arnie Fenner]
- The Cleaning Lady (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Dragonstairs Press, 2017) [story: chap: first appeared April 1988 Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone Magazine: pb/uncredited]
- Up the Rainbow: The Complete Short Fiction of Susan Casper (New York: Fantastic Books, 2017) [coll: edited by Gardner Dozois: introduction by Michael Swanwick: hb/Ron Miller]
works as editor
- Ripper! (New York: Tor, 1988) with Gardner Dozois [anth: Jack the Ripper: pb/]
- Jack the Ripper (London: Futura, 1988) with Gardner Dozois [anth: vt of the above: Jack the Ripper: pb/]
previous versions of this entry