Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1965- ) US academic associated with Newman University, Wichita, Kansas, and poet (see Poetry) whose first collection, Krypton Nights: Poems (coll 2002 chap; exp vt Single Bound: Krypton Nights / Amazon Days 2018), established a continuing pattern in which sets of poems are grouped around particular figures or themes, in this case the Superhero Superman (both sexes in the expanded version). Universal Monsters (coll 2007 chap) contains a more general assemblage of dramatic monologues, focusing on a variety of Monsters; Love Craft (coll 2010 chap) homages H P Lovecraft; Prime Directive (2011 chap) is a single extended meditation on a family tragedy framed by and irradiating a contemplation of Star Trek; and The Monstrance (coll 2012 chap) is a series of thirty-seven short narrative poems set in the world of James Whale's Frankenstein (1931), told from the point of view of various characters in the film (see also Frankenstein Monster; Golem). One collection, The Assumption (coll of linked poems 2011), eschews this pattern, presenting instead a closely linked sequence of sonnets whose focus on Cosmology is articulated through the viewpoints of exemplar character-types: the Engineer, the Skeptic, the Astronomer, and so forth.
Dietrich's knowledge of popular genres is deep and loving; his poetry is witty, formally ingenious, conservative with edge, a concinnous marriage of love and lore.
In 2014 he became President of the Science Fiction Poetry Association, which is responsible for the Rhysling Award, which he has never won. [JC]
Bryan D Dietrich
born Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: 30 December 1965
- Krypton Nights: Poems (Lincoln, Nebraska: Zoo Press, 2002) [coll: chap: pb/Shelly Fraley]
- Single Bound: Krypton Nights / Amazon Days (Seattle, Washington: WordFarm, 2018) [coll: assembling the above plus a second (previously unpublished) collection: pb/]
- Universal Monsters (WordTech Communications, 2007) [coll: chap: pb/]
- Love Craft (Cincinnati, Ohio: Finishing Line Press, 2010) [coll: chap: pb/]
- Prime Directive (Miami, Manitoba: Needfire Poetry, 2011) [chap: pb/Heather Boyce-Broddle]
- The Assumption (Seattle, Washington: WordFarm, 2011) [coll: chap: pb/Andrew Craft/iStockphoto]
- The Monstrance (Miami, Manitoba: Needfire Poetry, 2012) [coll: chap: pb/Bryan D Dietrich]
- The Demeter Diaries (Independent Legions Publishing, 2019) with Marge Simon [coll of linked poems and prose poems: pb/Wendy Saber Core]
works as editor
- Drawn to Marvel: Poems from the Comic Books (Minor Arcana Press, 2014) [poetry: anth: introduction by Albert Goldbarth: pb/]
previous versions of this entry