Entry updated 6 January 2022. Tagged: Author, Editor.
Working name of Charles Coleman Finlay (1964- ), US author and editor who is married to Rae Carson; his first work of genre interest was "Footnotes" in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction for August 2001. This, like other early work including the fantasy novel The Prodigal Troll (2005), was published under his full name. His Traitor to the Crown trilogy opening with The Patriot Witch (2009) is an interesting fantasy/Alternate History reworking of the US War of Independence in which British rule proves to be bolstered by a cabal of witches known as the Covenant, Secret Masters who must be opposed by US witches both male and female. Shorter fiction is assembled as Wild Things (coll 2005).
After guest-editing the July/August 2014 issue, Finlay succeeded Gordon Van Gelder as editor of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction from the March/April 2015 issue, and continues in this role. He has taught at the Clarion Science Fiction Writers' Workshop and other such workshops. [DRL]
Charles Coleman Finlay
born New York: 1 July 1964
Traitor to the Crown
- The Patriot Witch (New York: Ballantine/Del Rey, 2009) [Traitor to the Crown: pb/Craig Howell]
- A Spell for the Revolution (New York: Ballantine/Del Rey, 2009) [Traitor to the Crown: pb/Craig Howell]
- The Demon Redcoat (New York: Ballantine/Del Rey, 2009) [Traitor to the Crown: pb/]
- The Prodigal Troll (Amherst, New York: Pyr Books, 2005) [hb/Brian W Dow]
collections and stories
- Wild Things (Burton, Michigan: Subterranean Press, 2005) [coll: hb/Catska Ench and Cory Ench]
- Her Life Sentence (Burton, Michigan: Subterranean Press, 2005) [story: chap: included with the limited edition of the above: pb/]
- The Great Zeppelin Heist of Oz (Las Vegas, Nevada: 47North, 2013) with Rae Carson [story: ebook: first appeared in Oz Reimagined (anth 2013) edited by John Joseph Adams and Douglas Cohen: na/Galen Dara]
previous versions of this entry