Entry updated 11 August 2018. Tagged: Publication.
US Original-Anthology series published by Bantam Books since 1988, created by Lou Aronica, five issues: Full Spectrum (anth 1988), edited by Aronica with Shawna McCarthy; Full Spectrum 2 (anth 1989), edited by Aronica with Pat Lobrutto, McCarthy and Amy Stout, Full Spectrum 3 (anth 1991) and Full Spectrum 4 (anth 1993), both edited by Aronica with Betsy Mitchell and Stout; and Full Spectrum 5 (anth 1995) edited by Tom Dupree, Jennifer Hershey and Janna Silverstein. At least until their demotion to paperback original publication with #4 (Aronica left Bantam Books soon after), these were fat, prestigious volumes, an unusual publishing ploy at a time when conventional wisdom said sf Anthologies sold badly; they were clearly designed to publicize the Bantam Spectra sf line and to announce that Bantam remained a leader in the sf market. Their only major award-winner was "Bible Stories for Adults, No. 17: The Deluge" (1988 #1) by James Morrow, which won a Nebula, though Michael Swanwick won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for "The Edge of the World" (1989 #2) and a high count of Full Spectrum stories were shortlisted for awards. Full Spectrum itself won a Locus Award for Best Anthology for volumes #1 and #3 and the World Fantasy Award for volume #4.
Full Spectrum published a fairly high proportion of "literary" stories and a low proportion of Hard SF, and mixed well-known authors with promising unknowns. Further stories of note include "Journals of the Plague Years" (1989 #1) by Norman Spinrad, "Voices of the Kill" (1989 #1) by Thomas M Disch, "Black Glass" by Karen Joy Fowler (1991 #3), "Daughter Earth" (1991 #3) by James Morrow, "Division by Zero" (1991 #3) by Ted Chiang, "Matter's End" (1991 #3) by Gregory Benford, "The Story So Far" (1993 #4) by Martha Soukup and "The Ziggurat" (1995 #5) by Gene Wolfe. [PN/MA/JC]
- Lou Aronica and Shawna McCarthy, editors. Full Spectrum (New York: Bantam, 1988) [anth: Full Spectrum: hb/Peter Stallard]
- Lou Aronica, Pat Lobrutto, Shawna McCarthy and Amy Stout, editors. Full Spectrum 2 (New York: Doubleday, 1989) [anth: Full Spectrum: hb/Peter Stallard]
- Lou Aronica, Betsy Mitchell and Amy Stout, editors. Full Spectrum 3 (New York: Doubleday, 1991) [anth: Full Spectrum: hb/Barclay Shaw]
- Lou Aronica, Betsy Mitchell and Amy Stout, editors. Full Spectrum 4 (New York: Bantam, 1993) [anth: Full Spectrum: pb/Siudmak]
- Tom Dupree, Jennifer Hershey and Janna Silverstein, editors. Full Spectrum 5 (New York: Bantam, 1995) [anth: Full Spectrum: pb/Michael Parkes]
previous versions of this entry