Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Publisher.
(1927-2009) US Small-Press publisher whose imprints were the Grandon Company (formerly the Hadley Publishing Company, renamed after its buy-out by Grant) and, later, Donald M Grant Publisher. He published and co-compiled the early Bibliography "333": A Bibliography of the Science-Fantasy Novel (1953 chap) with Joseph H Crawford Jr (1932- ) and James J Donahue, with assistance by Joseph W Bateman and J Lloyd Eaton (see J Lloyd Eaton Collection); "333" is a central document of early scholarship in the field (see Fandom), its annotated checklist of sf and fantasy up to 1950 providing a clear sense of the canon of American sf as it was then conceived. After Fantasy Press folded in 1958, Grant acquired its stock, including large numbers of unbound signatures which over the years he had bound and released in editions almost identical to Fantasy Press's. In the 1970s he published handsome editions of Robert E Howard's Conan stories, based on their original magazine texts and illustrated by Roy G Krenkel.
Grant edited the critical anthologies Rhode Island on Lovecraft (anth 1945 chap), with Thomas P Hadley and Virgil Finlay (anth 1971) (see Virgil Finlay). His one fiction anthology is the anonymously edited Swordsmen and Supermen (anth 1972). Talbot Mundy: Messenger of Destiny (anth 1983) is a "bio-bibliography" of Talbot Mundy, with essays by others including Fritz Leiber. In 2003 Grant received the World Fantasy Award for lifetime achievement. [DRL]
see also: Stephen Fabian.
Donald Metcalf Grant
born Providence, Rhode Island: 3 April 1927
died North Port, Florida: 19 August 2009
- Act of Providence (West Kingston, Rhode Island: Donald M Grant, Publisher, 1979) with Joseph Payne Brennan [hb/Robert Arrington]
works as editor
- "333": A Bibliography of the Science-Fantasy Novel (Providence, Rhode Island: The Grandon Company, 1953) by Joseph H Crawford Jr (1932- ) assisted by James J Donahue and Grant [bibliography: chap: pb/Roy Hunt]
- Rhode Island on Lovecraft (Providence, Rhode Island: Grant-Hadley Enterprises, 1945) with Thomas P Hadley [anth: chap: pb/]
- Swordsmen and Supermen (New York: Centaur Press, 1971) edited anonymously [anth: pb/Virgil Finlay]
- Virgil Finlay (West Kingston, Rhode Island: Donald M Grant, 1971) [anth: hb/Virgil Finlay]
- Talbot Mundy: Messenger of Destiny (West Kingston, Rhode Island: Donald M Grant, 1983) [nonfiction: anth: Talbot Mundy: hb/Ned Dameron]
previous versions of this entry