Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Artist, Author.
(1940- ) US illustrator and author, long resident in Greece, married to James Blish from 1964 until his death in 1975, collaborating with him on "Getting Along" (in Again, Dangerous Visions, anth 1972, ed Harlan Ellison) and – sometimes without credit – on many of the stories and some of the Ties he wrote for the Star Trek enterprise. She was credited as co-author of Star Trek 12 (coll 1977) and was solely responsible for Star Trek: Mudd's Angels (1978; vt Star Trek: Mudd's Enterprise 1994). Most of her short fiction, some previously unpublished, has been assembled as The Other Side of the Surface and Other Stories (coll 2021).
As an illustrator, usually as Judith Ann Lawrence, her book covers include the first editions of James Blish's Black Easter; Or, Faust Aleph-Null (1968), Blish's The Day after Judgment (1971) and Christopher Priest's Fugue for a Darkening Island (1972). She painted the cover of the special James Blish issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, April 1972. [JC/DRL]
Judith Ann Lawrence Blish
born New York: March 1940
- Star Trek 12 (New York: Bantam Books, 1977) with James Blish [coll: tie to Star Trek: Star Trek: pb/]
- Star Trek: Mudd's Angels (New York: Bantam Books, 1978) [fixup: tie to Star Trek: Star Trek: pb/Bob Larkin]
- Star Trek: The Classic Episodes 1 (London: Bantam, 1991) with James Blish [coll: tie to Star Trek: Star Trek: pb/]
- Star Trek: The Classic Episodes 3 (London: Bantam, 1991) with James Blish [coll: tie to Star Trek: Star Trek: pb/]
collections and poetry
- With All of Love: Selected Poems (San Francisco, California: Anamnesis Press, 1995) with James Blish [poetry: coll: edited and introduced by Keith Allen Daniels: includes 14 poems and an essay by Lawrence: hb/nonpictorial]
- The Other Side of the Surface and Other Stories (Golden, Colorado: ReAnimus Press, 2021) [coll: pb/J A Lawrence]
previous versions of this entry