Entry updated 5 September 2022. Tagged: Award.
Award for the year's best Young Adult book, presented at Worldcon in association with the Hugos. Like the John W Campbell Award/Astounding Award, this is voted by the same constituency as the Hugos, using the same ballot form, but is not a Hugo. The chief reason for this distinction is the principle that no single work should be eligible for multiple Hugo categories: Young Adult tales are not excluded from, and indeed have won, the Hugo for best novel and best novella.
An additional complication is that the Lodestar name for this award was not formally adopted in time for its debut in 2018 (honouring 2017 work); the first presentation below was thus announced as simply "Award for Best Young Adult Book". [DRL]
- 2018: Nnedi Okorafor, Akata Warrior (2017)
- 2019: Tomi Adeyemi, Children of Blood and Bone (2018)
- 2020: Naomi Kritzer, Catfishing on CatNet (2019)
- 2021: Ursula Vernon writing as T Kingfisher, A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking (2020)
- 2022: Naomi Novik, The Last Graduate (2021)
previous versions of this entry