Entry updated 26 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1979- ) US author who initially published as J M McDermott, though he has tended to use his full name since 2014. He began publishing work of genre interest with "I Am Nature" in Pseudopod for December 2007. Most of his output is fantasy, including the Dogsland Trilogy beginning with Never Knew Another (2011), which is set in a patched-together fantasy environment (with Werewolves, demons, autobiographical skulls who narrate backstory deftly, and As Above, So Below hierarchies shaping the Urban Fantasy world of the series) [for As Above, So Below and Urban Fantasy see The Encyclopedia of Fantasy under links below].
McDermott is of sf interest primarily for The Fortress at the End of Time (2016), whose interstellar Space Opera venues are linked by a form of Ansible, though in this case it seems to serve as a kind of Matter Transmission device, conveying "clones" of characters to where the story needs them; the action focuses on the Citadel, a Space Habitat designed to serve as an early-warning station if War once again threatens through the return of an inimical Alien civilization. [JC]
Joe M McDermott
- Never Knew Another (San Francisco, California: Night Shade Books, 2011) [Dogsland Trilogy: pb/Julien Alday]
- When We Were Executioners (San Francisco, California: Night Shade Books, 2012) [Dogsland Trilogy: pb/Julien Alday]
- We Leave Together (Petaluma, California: Word Horde, 2014) [Dogsland Trilogy: pb/Julien Alday]
- Last Dragon (Renton, Washington: Wizards of the Coast Discoveries, 2008) [pb/Matt Adelsperger and Henry Higginbotham]
- Maze (Lexington, Kentucky: Apex Publications, 2013) [pb/Angela Giles]
- Straggletaggle (no place given: Bad Ducky Industries, 2014) [pb/]
- The Fortress at the End of Time (New York: Tor.com, 2016) [pb/Jaime Jones]
- Disintegration Visions (Lexington, Kentucky: Apex Publications, 2012) [coll: pb/Ekaterina Zagustina]
- Joe M McDermott
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The Encyclopedia of Fantasy: As Above, So Below; Urban Fantasy.
- Picture Gallery
previous versions of this entry