Entry updated 29 October 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1959- ) US teacher, journalist and author, mostly of fantasy tales for the Young Adult market, including the Equipoisal Marbury Lens sequence beginning with The Marbury Lens (2010), whose traumatized young protagonist gains sight of – or imagines he gains sight of – an Alternate World called Marbury, which both obsesses him and demands his salvatory allegiance. Of greater direct sf interest is the Grasshopper Jungle sequence beginning with Grasshopper Jungle (2014), whose perhaps rather similar young protagonist, and tagalong friend, inadvertently transform the world, creating a Near FutureDystopian society threatened by weaponized praying-mantis-shaped Monsters: Sex-obsessed "Unstoppable Soldiers" who bring about something like the End of the World. In the sequel, Exile from Eden; Or, After the Hole (2019), a seemingly new cast of young protagonists make sense out of the Ruined Earth they have inherited.
This author should not be confused with Andrew Smith. [JC]
Andrew Anselmo Smith
born California: 16 July 1959
- The Marbury Lens (New York: Feiwel and Friends, 2010) [Marbury Lens: hb/Rich Deas]
- King of Marbury (New York: Tor.com, 2012) [ebook: first appeared 3 October 2012 Tor.com: Marbury Lens: na/]
- Passenger (New York: Feiwel and Friends, 2012) [Marbury Lens: hb/Rich Deas]
- Grasshopper Jungle (New York: Dutton, 2014) [Grasshopper Jungle: hb/]
- Exile from Eden; Or, After the Hole (New York: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2019) [Grasshopper Jungle: hb/Greg Stadnyk]
previous versions of this entry