Entry updated 26 October 2021. Tagged: Author, Editor.
(1958- ) US editor, publisher and author, founder of Fairwood Press in 2000, which he continues to run and for which he designed many covers. Somewhat earlier in 1995 he founded and edited the magazine Talebones, which latterly operated through Fairwood. Swenson began to publish work of genre interest with "The Siren" in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine for April 1990. His Ultra sequence of interstellar Space Opera adventures, comprising The Ultra Thin Man (2014), his first novel, and The Ultra Big Sleep (2016), briskly mingles noir tropes – the protagonist is a twenty-second century "private eye" – and Widescreen Baroque complications over a range of worlds, as the first Invasion by the Alien Ultras threatens to be repeated. There are constant accelerations of action and scale.
Swenson has also edited the Anthologies Imagination Fully Dilated: Science Fiction (anth 2003) with Robert Kruger and The Best of Talebones (anth 2010). [JC]
Patrick J Swenson
born Montana: 1958
- The Ultra Thin Man (New York: Tor, 2014) [Ultra: hb/Victor Mosquera]
- Slightly Ruby (Bonney Lake, Washington: Fairwood Press, 2016) [chap: Ultra: pb/Victor Mosquera]
- The Ultra Big Sleep (Bonney Lake, Washington: Fairwood Press, 2016) [Ultra: pb/Kuldar Leement]
- Rain Music (Bonney Lake, Washington: Fairwood Press, 2021) [hb/Nikki Rossignol]
works as editor
- Imagination Fully Dilated: Science Fiction (Bonney Lake, Washington: Fairwood Press, 2003) with Robert Kruger [anth: illus/hb/Alan M Clark]
- The Best of Talebones (Bonney Lake, Washington: Fairwood Press, 2010) [anth: Talebones: pb/Patrick Swenson]
previous versions of this entry