Entry updated 13 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Editor.
(1974- ) US editor, librarian, curator and author, currently (2022) Head of the Rare Book and Manuscript Library and Juanita J and Robert E Simpson Rare Book and Manuscript Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Thomas is one of the most successful genre editors of her generation, best known for editing Uncanny Magazine (2014-current) with her husband Michael Damian Thomas from its first issue. She was previously editor of Apex Magazine from 2011 to 2013 (issues 30-55).
Thomas has ten Hugo Awards: seven shared for Uncanny Magazine as best semiprozine in the years 2016-2020 inclusive and 2022, plus best professional editor (short form) in 2018. The Doctor Who celebration Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It (anth 2010) co-edited with Tara O'Shea (see also Feminism) won as best related work in 2011; the Audiozine SF Squeecast, of which Thomas is moderator, won as best fancast in 2012 and 2013. Further awards include the British Fantasy Award for Uncanny Magazine as best magazine/periodical in 2019.
During her tenure, fiction from Apex Magazine won a Nebula award. Fiction from Uncanny Magazine has won multiple Hugos and Locus Awards, a Nebula and a Rhysling Award. As well as SF Squeecast, Thomas is also a member of the popular Doctor Who podcast Verity!. She has also edited Whedonistas: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them (anth 2011) with Deborah Stanish (see Joss Whedon), and Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them (anth 2012) with Sigrid Ellis (see Comics). As an author, aside from magazine editorials, Thomas's work normally relates to her work as a librarian and curator; however, at least one article has genre connections: "Using Libraries to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse" with Sarah McHone-Chase in Braaaiiinnnsss!: From Academics to Zombies (anth 2011) edited by Robert Smith? [sic] (see Disaster; Zombies). [SP]
Lynne M Thomas
works as editor
- Glitter & Mayhem (Lexington, Kentucky: Apex Publications, 2013) with John Klima and Michael Damian Thomas [anth: pb/Galen Dara]
- The Book of Apex: Volume Four of Apex Magazine (Lexington, Kentucky: Apex Publications, 2013) [anth: Apex Magazine: pb/Julie Dillon]
- The Best of Uncanny (Burton, Michigan: Subterranean Press, 2019) with Michael Damian Thomas [anth: Uncanny Magazine: hb/Tran Nguyen]
nonfiction works as editor
- Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It (Des Moines, Iowa: Mad Norwegian Press, 2010) with Tara O'Shea [nonfiction: anth: Doctor Who: pb/]
- Whedonistas: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them (Des Moines, Iowa: Mad Norwegian Press, 2011) with Deborah Stanish [nonfiction: anth: Joss Whedon: pb/]
- Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them (Des Moines, Iowa: Mad Norwegian Press, 2012) with Sigrid Ellis [nonfiction: anth: Comics: pb/Katy Shuttleworth]
previous versions of this entry