News item dated 7 August 2012
Now it can be revealed, with 2012 Hugo voting safely closed: we were encouraged to provide some exclusive SF Encyclopedia extras for inclusion in the Chicon Hugo Voter Packet, and here they are. Some of these special features should soon be properly integrated into the SFE website.
[The previews of planned new features long since added to the SFE website now seem a little redundant but of course didn’t in 2012.]
Welcome to the SF Encyclopedia Hugo Voter Packet page. We, the editors, are thrilled that the SFE has been shortlisted as Best Related Book. We feel there’s no substitute for the more than three and a half million words of interlinked entries in the present state of the SFE, so instead of providing a limited sample for the Chicon package we invite you to plunge into the encyclopedia itself. The entire text is free to read online.
Exclusive to this Hugo Voter Packet page are some features which have from the beginning been part of our strategy for the SFE site and which we hope to see implemented soon, including a random “lucky dip”, a “what’s new” feature to show the most recent additions, and a demo version of an “incoming” option equivalent to Wikipedia’s “What links here”.
- Click here to see a randomly selected entry.
- Click here for a random new entry – that is, one of the more than 4000 full entries which have been added since the second edition of 1993 and its 1995 CD-ROM version. (Of course, very many entries from the second edition have since been heavily revised for the third.)
- Click here for a “What’s New” listing of the latest entries to be added.
- Click here for a demonstration of our “What links here” (plus other entry information) based on John Clute’s entry.
- Click here for a full list of links to the 3655 new entries which appeared before 2012 and thus count towards Hugo eligibility.
Thank you for sampling the new SF Encyclopedia.