Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1964- ) US author who was a graduate of the 1994 Clarion West workshop (see Clarion Science Fiction Writers' Workshop) and began to publish work of genre interest with "Liza and the Crazy Water Man" in Starlight 1 (anth 1996) edited by Patrick Nielsen Hayden; this is assembled with other early work in Beluthahatchie and Other Stories (coll 2000), which won a World Fantasy Award as best collection. Further recognition followed: "The Pottawatomie Giant" (1 November 2000 Sci Fiction) won another World Fantasy Award in 2001 as best short fiction; "The Chief Designer" (June 2001 Asimov's) won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award; "Close Encounters" (in The Pottawatomie Giant and Other Stories, coll 2012) won a Nebula as best novelette; and Wakulla Springs (2 October 2013 Tor.com; 2013 ebook) with Ellen Klages won a further World Fantasy Award as best novella.
Duncan has yet to publish at novel length. His work tends to the kind of folklore-tinged regional Fantastika assembled in his anthology Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic (anth 2004) with F Brett Cox; but he also confidently tackles sf and sf-adjacent tropes – such as Zombies in "Zora and the Zombie" (4 February 2004 Sci Fiction) and Psionics in "New Frontiers of the Mind" (July/August 2018 Analog) – and, as indicated by the above-cited award wins, appeals strongly to the sf readership. [DRL]
see also: Eileen Gunn.
Andrew Robert Duncan
born Batesburg, South Carolina: 21 September 1964
- The Night Cache (Hornsea, Yorkshire: PS Publishing, 2009) [story: chap: in the publisher's PS Holiday Chapbooks series: hb/Ben Baldwin]
- On 20468 Petercook (New York: Tor.com, 2012) [novella: ebook: first appeared 11 April 2012 Tor.com: na/Scott Brundage]
- Wakulla Springs (New York: Tor.com, 2013) with Ellen Klages [novella: first appeared 2 October 2013 Tor.com: na/Gary Kelley]
- Beluthahatchie and Other Stories (Urbana, Illinois: Golden Gryphon Press, 2000) [coll: hb/Bob Eggleton]
- The Pottawatomie Giant and Other Stories (Hornsea, Yorkshire: PS Publishing, 2012) [coll: hb/Chris Roberts]
- An Agent of Utopia: New & Selected Stories (Easthampton, Massachusetts: Small Beer Press, 2018) [coll: pb/Ann Xu]
works as editor
- Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic (New York: Tor, 2004) with F Brett Cox [anth: hb/Howard Grossman]
previous versions of this entry