Entry updated 12 April 2021. Tagged: Author.
(1928-2013) US Roman Catholic priest, academic in the field of sociology, and author, beginning with nonfiction books about the Roman Catholic Church, which he treated from a liberal standpoint that was congenial to many non-believers; the first of these studies was The Social Effects of Catholic Education (1961). Most of his fiction was not fantastic in nature, though some of his detective novels contain paranormal elements; and he was always more inclined to write Fantasy than sf, beginning with Nora Maeve and Sebi (1976 chap), a short fantasy tale, and The Magic Cup (1979), a fantasy set in medieval Ireland. God Game (1986) depicts a priest introduced by Computer to a fantasy Videogame whose Game-World becomes synonymous with a far-off reality; the protagonist must play the role of God to its cast of warring and fractious characters, and finds this assumption of a Godgame role arduous in the extreme (see also God Game). The Final Planet (1987) features the Irish Catholic captain of a desperately wandering Starship called Iona from the planet Tara, who must descend to a very secular planet to see if colonists are admissible there, almost (but never quite) bedding a female Scientist en passant. The Angel Fire sequence, comprising Angel Fire (1988) and Angel Light (1995), is Science-Fantasy about an Irish-descended American Nobel Prize-winning scientist – he has been honoured for a version of the already discredited "punctuated equilibrium" theory of Evolution – whose theories attract unpleasant attention from various factions including sinister Britons and East Germans; but he is blessed with a literal, female guardian angel, who protects him very well.
The Reverend Dr Andrew Moran Greeley
born Oak Park, Illinois: 5 February 1928
died Chicago, Illinois: 29 May 2013
- Angel Fire (New York: Warner Books, 1988) [Angel Fire: hb/David Holt]
- Angel Light (New York: Tor, 1995) [Angel Fire: hb/Jeffrey Terreson]
- Nora Maeve and Sebi (New York: Paulist Press, 1976) [chap: pb/]
- The Magic Cup (New York: The McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1979) [hb/Jim Fitzpatrick]
- God Game (New York: Warner Books, 1986) [hb/Boris Vallejo]
- Angels of September (New York: Warner Books, 1986) [hb/]
- The Final Planet (New York: Warner Books, 1987) [hb/Boris Vallejo]
works as editor (selected)
- Sacred Visions (New York: Tor, 1991) edited with Michael Cassutt (and Martin H Greenberg anon) [anth: hb/Bob Eggleton]
- Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy (New York: Tor, 2004) [anth: hb/Larry Rostant]
previous versions of this entry