Entry updated 16 December 2022. Tagged: Author, Editor.
(1949-2022) US game designer, editor and author of the Cyborg Commando sequence comprising Planet in Peril (1987), Chase into Space (1988) and The Ultimate Prize (1988), all with Pamela O'Neill. Based on an outline by Gary Gygax (see also Games and Sports), the stories are adventurous and noisy, featuring Military SF-style exploits of a team of commandos, each of these Cyborgs being a human brain implanted into a weaponized Android body.
He served as editor of The Dragon, TSR's gaming magazine (from December 1982 to May 1995 with some gaps), and of the Wargames magazine Ares (Fall 1983 to Spring 1984), which led to his becoming editor of Amazing Stories in the period from 1991 to 2000 when TSR and then Wizards of the Coast (which bought TSR in 1997) held the licence. During this period he worked on various TSR Role Playing Game projects and published two Anthologies, Amazing Stories: The Anthology (anth 1995) and More Amazing Stories (anth 1998), the latter containing previously unpublished stories left over after one of that journal's periodic demises. [JC]
Kim Rudolph Mohan
born Chicago, Illinois: 4 May 1949
died 12 December 2022
- Planet in Peril (New York: Ace Books, 1987) with Pamela O'Neill [tie to the Gary Gygax concept: Cyborg Commando: pb/Janny Wurts]
- Chase into Space (New York: Ace Books, 1988) with Pamela O'Neill [tie to the Gary Gygax concept: Cyborg Commando: pb/Janny Wurts]
- The Ultimate Prize (New York: Ace Books, 1988) with Pamela O'Neill [tie to the Gary Gygax concept: Cyborg Commando: pb/Janny Wurts]
works as editor
- Amazing Stories: The Anthology (New York: Tor, 1995) [anth: Amazing Stories: pb/Kelly Freas]
- More Amazing Stories (New York: Tor, 1998) [anth: Amazing Stories: pb/Bob Eggleton]
previous versions of this entry