Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author.
(1976- ) Australian author whose first work, The Enigma Variant (1999 chap) with Chris Mowbray is horror. He began publishing work of wider genre interest with "Cigarettes and Roses" in Passing Strange: A New Anthology of Australian Speculative Fiction (anth 2002) edited by Bill Congreve; further short stories have been assembled as Dead Americans and Other Stories (coll 2014). Of specific sf interest is his first novel, Black Sheep (2007), set in a distant Near Future Australia where – as in the rest of the world – a system of apartheid divides all Cities into three racially segregated Keeps; the protagonist's punishment, after he crosses a forbidden boundary, is grotesque: he is stripped down to a colour-neutral, Memory-Edited shell, identified only by number.
The Godless (2014) begins an ambitious fantasy series, Children, set in a world still strewn with the corpses of the gods, 15,000 years after the end of an apocalyptic War. [JC]
Ben Michael Peek
born Sydney, New South Wales: 12 October 1976
- The Godless (London: Tor, 2014) [Children: hb/Steve Stone]
- Leviathan's Blood (London: Macmillan, 2016) [Children: hb/Neil Lang/Stephen Mulcahey/Shutterstock]
- The Eternal Kingdom (London: Macmillan, 2017) [Children: hb/]
- Black Sheep (Rockville, Maryland: Wildside Press/Prime Books, 2007) [pb/]
- Above / Below (Yokine, Western Australia: Twelfth Planet Press, 2011) with Stephanie Campisi [coll: dos: pb/Amanda Rainey]
collections and stories
- The Enigma Variant (Paramatta, New South Wales: MirrorDanse Books, 1999) with Chris Mowbray [novelette: chap: pb/Bill Congreve and Robert Hood]
- Dead Americans and Other Stories (Toronto, Ontario: ChiZine Publications, 2014) [coll: pb/Erik Mohr]
- Twenty-Six Lies / One Truth (Wilsonville, Oregon: Wheatland Press, 2006) [illus/Anna Brown and Andrew Macrae: pb/]
previous versions of this entry