Entry updated 20 June 2022. Tagged: Author.
(? - ) South African author, in UK for some years, much of whose work has been horror in collaboration with Sarah Lotz as by S L Grey. Selected titles (see Horror in SF) are listed below, in particular the Downside Trio beginning with The Mall (2011), whose two protagonists find themselves trapped in an Underground Parody of a real mall; the Satire on consumerism is gaudy, gonzo, and to the point. Some of the confrontational jaggedness of the tale may come from the fact that each author wrote one protagonist separately. S L Grey singletons include Under Ground (2015) and The Apartment (2016) [for details see Sarah Lotz].
Greenberg's solo singletons include Green Valley (2019), set in a town structured as a non-digital Zone, inside of which a deeper Virtual Reality zone must be penetrated in order to rescue an abducted child. Exposure (2021), a romance, is set in an Alternate World version of the UK. [JC]
born Johannesburg, South Africa
- The Mall (London: Corvus, 2011) with Sarah Lotz, writing together as by S L Grey [Downside Trio: hb/]
- The Ward (London: Atlantic Books, 2012) with Sarah Lotz, writing together as by S L Grey [Downside Trio: pb/]
- The New Girl (London: Corvus, 2013) with Sarah Lotz, writing together as by S L Grey [Downside Trio: pb/]
- Under Ground (London: Macmillan, 2015) with Sarah Lotz, writing together as by S L Grey [hb/]
- The Apartment (London: Macmillan, 2016) with Sarah Lotz, writing together as by S L Grey [pb/]
- Green Valley (New York: Titan Books, 2019) [pb/Natasha MacKenzie]
- Exposure (New York: Titan Books, 2021) [pb/]
previous versions of this entry