Entry updated 12 September 2022. Tagged: Author, Critic, Editor.
(1946- ) UK editor, critic and author who after several appearances in the Amateur Magazines SFinx (from 1969) and Macrocosm (in 1972) began to publish sf professionally with "Clown Fish and Anemone" for Science Fiction Monthly in April 1975. His fiction is generally unexceptional, though some stories – such as "Losing Control" (in Other Edens III, anth 1989, ed Christopher Evans and Robert Holdstock), about the crew of a crashed Starship who survive by means of incestuous marriage and a strange form of symbiosis with an Alien species – involve interesting and innovative ideas. Morgan's main contribution has been as a critic, notably in The Shape of Futures Past: The Story of Prediction (1980), a comprehensive and valuable survey of pre-1945 Predictions about the future. Future Man (1980) is a history of sf speculations on possible biological and behavioural changes in humanity. [NT]
see also: Pseudoscience.
born Oxford, Oxfordshire: 1946
- Fritz Leiber: A Bibliography 1934-1979 (Birmingham, England: Morgenstern, 1979) [nonfiction: chap: Fritz Leiber: pb/nonpictorial]
- The Shape of Futures Past: The Story of Prediction (Exeter, Devon: Webb and Bower, 1980) [nonfiction: pb/]
- Future Man (Newton Abbot, Devon: David & Charles, 1980) [nonfiction: hb/]
- Facts and Fallacies: A Book of Definitive Mistakes and Misguided Predictions (Exeter, Devon: Webb and Bower, 1981) with David Langford [nonfiction: hb/nonpictorial]
- Facts & Fallacies: A Book of Definitive Mistakes and Misguided Predictions (Reading, Berkshire: Ansible Editions, 2017) with David Langford [nonfiction: ebook: exp rev of the above: na/L A Vaught]
- Hardyware: The Art of David A Hardy (London: Paper Tiger, 2001) [nonfiction: graph: intro by Stephen Baxter: David A Hardy: illus/pb/David A Hardy]
works as editor
- Dark Fantasies (London: Century Hutchinson/Legend, 1989) [anth: hb/from Caspar David Friedrich]
previous versions of this entry